So when you tell people “I’m a teacher”, what’s the first thing they say? Oh, you’re so lucky you get summers off! Ugh! Doesn’t that just drive you crazy.
So the response I would like to say is, ” You’re right, I get summers off because I need to re-energize because I do my job 24 hours a day 7 days a week for 10 months straight! I am shaping my 24 plus kids to be better citizens and teach them all the basic skills they will need for the rest of their life.”
No pressure at all, right! I know you spend the time you do get off preparing for the kids you are going to be getting at the beginning of the school year.
As teachers we are never satisfied with being just ok. We have to be great! All the time!! Our kids deserve it.
We put so much pressure on ourselves that sometimes we forget to live our life. I know I have been there.
When I first started, I spent every waking hour figuring out how I could best help my kids. I spent hours in chat rooms and on blogs (This was before Pinterest). I was fortunate enough to meet some great teachers that were doing amazing things in their classroom. I learned from them.
So that’s why I started this blog many years ago. I want to be able to help you, like many teachers helped me.
So a little about me:
- I’ve taught multiple grade levels in elementary for 16 years.
- I LOVE teaching reading! I LOVE to see that look in their eye when they start to understand that those words on the paper actually mean something.
- I live in Texas with my wonderful husband of 21 years and my amazing 6 year old daughter.
- I live in the same area where I teach. I run into my kids all the time at the store or while at dinner.
- I went 3rd through 12th grade in the wonderful school system that I know teach in. It has been awesome to teach aside some of the teachers that taught me! I have also had high school friend’s kids in my classes.
- I have my Bachelors of Science in Psychology. I have an Early Childhood certification and ESL certification. I also have a Masters of Science in Early Childhood.
I truly love what I do and I can’t imagine doing anything else.
I believe that we all have the ability to touch kids lives daily. We might be the only positive role model that student ever sees.
Never give up and keep on being who you were meant to be.